Regardless residence status, only one who has Asian nationality is eligible to apply for AFA.
2. Who can be defined as an "oversea Korean"?
In accordance with related Korean laws and regulations, one who matches any following case would be defined as an oversea Korean.
1) One who obtains or tries to obtain the right of permanent residence in the other country and currently holds Korean nationality.
2) One who currently obtains the other nationality and had held Korean nationality before.
3) One who currently obtains the other nationality and any side of one's parent or grandparent had held Korean nationality before.
3. I wonder if you have restriction on age.
Anyone who is above 18 on the beginning date of AFA can apply for AFA.
4. I do have filmmaking experience but in different fields (such as Actor, Assistant Director, etc.) from the application guideline.
Explain your career via email (email@example.com) so that AFA selection board can judge. We are going to give you a response to your inquiry soon.
1. I cannot download the application form.
Please report your case to AFA (firstname.lastname@example.org). We are going to figure out the problems or send the application form directly by email.
2. The application form file seems to be corrupt. / I cannot open the form.
We recommend you to set up the "Open Office", which you can download for free at its website (http://www.openoffice.org), and then open the application form with the program. If you continue having the problem, please don't hesitate to contact us.
3. My passport name is different from my name in my film credit.
Specify at the blank of <Applicant's Credit> of <Submitted Portfolio> section in the application form. We may request more information if needed.
1.Should I send out multiple DVDs for my portfolio with each short film on a separate disc, or just send out all the short films on a single disc?
We would prefer a single DVD.
2. I have no English subtitle in my film. What should I do?
Send your synopsis and English script by email (email@example.com).
3. Can I upload and show my works through online (such as Youtube, Vimeo)?
We only take DVD due to our selection screening process.
4. I have PAL DVD for my portfolio. Is it ok?
Both PAL and NTSC are ok.
5. What is appropriate length of the portfolio?
There is no restriction on the length of the film.
1. Do you have particular form for recommendation letter?
No, we do not have any particular form for recommendation letter as long as the letter contains writer's signature and contact information
2. Whom should the recommendation letter be addressed to?
"To Asian Film Academy Selection Board" would be good.
3. Can I send copy of the letter?
Only original letter is acceptable.
4. Can the letter be handwritten?
We would prefer a typed letter because of legibility but handwritten letter is also acceptable.
1. Does your deadline mean postmarked date or arrival date of the application package?
The application package should be arrived in Busan office before the deadline (April 30). In case the applicant submitted only an application form via email before the deadline, AFA is going to extend submission deadline one more week for rest of materials to arrive.
2. I have applied for AFA before. Should I submit all the required materials again?
AFA keeps all the documents and DVDs of applicants for 1 year and then destroys them. If you applied for AFA last year and want to use the same resources for your submission, you can just submit this year's application form and inform us your request via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
3. Can I visit your office and submit all the materials directly?
You can submit your application package in person at the Busan IFF Office (BIFF HILL 3rd Floor, Busan Cinema Center).
4. I am applying for AFA with other friends of mine. Is it ok if we courier the application materials in a single package?
You can send multiple AFA applicants' materials in one box.
5. Can I get my documents and portfolio back?
All the materials submitted for application will not be returned.
6. I want to check if my submission has been done successfully.
AFA emails confirmation note after completing applicant's submission. Confirmation can be delayed depend on submission traffic.
1.How much does it cost to participate in AFA?
We don't take any kind of tuition. Once you selected as an AFA fellow, the cost for air ticket between your departure city and Busan, accommodation, meals and equipments will be provided.
2. Can I attend just a part of the whole program?
If you are selected, you must complete the whole program from September 26 to October 11, 2013. If you are unable to attend the entire program for any reason, your admission will be automatically withdrawn. In addition, we request you to participate actively in the online pre-production phase (August 1 ~ September 23) before you arrive in Busan
3. In order to attend AFA, I will miss my class or work. Can I receive an official letter for my school or work?
An official letter that indicates your attendance in AFA will be sent to you upon your request. Email us at email@example.com
4.Can I have a day off or free time during AFA?
AFA has an intensive schedule during the program and participants will have limited free time.
5. What do I get after the completion of AFA?
AFA issues certificate to those who have attended AFA program completely. Many benefits and support from Busan International Film Festival will be following after AFA.
1. How do you select your participants?
AFA selection board carefully screens applicants' documents and portfolios and have selection meetings twice during two month of selection process. Between two selection meetings, telephonic interview can be requested for some applicants. Talent and passion for film and a minimum ability to communicate in English will be considered for selection.
2. Do my religion, physical condition, and cultural background affect selection?
Not at all.
3. When can I know the result of selection?
AFA will inform the result individually by email in early July. We are going to announce the result on our website as well
3rd Floor, BIFF HILL, Busan Cinema Center, 1467 Woo-Dong, Haeundae-Gu, Busan 612-020, Korea Tel. 82-1688-3010 Fax. 82-51-709-2299
5th Floor, Seven Bldg., 13-21 Namsan-dong 3-ga, Jung-gu, Seoul 100-043, Korea Tel. 82-2-3675-5097 Fax. 82-2-3675-5098
copyright ⓒ 2013 Busan International Film Festival. All rights reserved.